Rodents are among the most common household pests across the country. It doesn’t matter where you live, whether it’s rural or urban, you’ll likely encounter a mouse or rat in your home at some point. An infestation of mice or rats can cause serious damage to your home. Rodents can also cause severe health issues for some people. If you suspect rodents have taken up residence in your home, you should consider professional rodent control and exclusion for five distinct reasons.
The most obvious sign that there are rodents present is spotting one as they run across the floor. Unfortunately, both rats and mice prefer to live in tight family units and are rarely found alone. So, if you spot one, there are more you can’t see. Beyond seeing a live rodent, some other signs of an infestation include:
- Droppings – The most common sign that rodents are present are the dark, pellet-shaped droppings they leave behind. Check inside cabinets, along walls, inside drawers, and anywhere you suspect rodents may be. Do not touch the droppings as they may cause you to become very ill.
- Unpleasant, Musty Odor – When rodents infest a home, they constantly urinate along paths they follow. This helps other members of the family navigate. The odor of the urine and droppings will often resemble a strong, musty odor that’s difficult to get rid of and has no other obvious reason..
- Nests or Burrows – If you spot a clump of soft, fluffy material in your attic, basement, or other secluded area, it may be a cozy little rodent nest. Odds are, there are babies in the nest nearly continually and that means you need to address the issue right away to avoid a huge infestation.
- Damaged Woodwork – Rats and mice can chew and scratch at the wood structure of your home, cabinets, and furniture. Over time, the damage they cause along with the saturation of urine and feces can render wood materials useless.
- Chewed Wires – Rodents aren’t just fond of chewing on wood materials, they also like electrical wires, cords, and other coated wires. If you see signs of chewing on any type of electrical wire, it’s something that you need to have addressed immediately to avoid the risk of fire or electrocution.
Once you realize you have a rodent infestation, you want to get busy right away to eliminate them and to keep them from coming back. Attempting to rid your home of rodents on your own can be expensive, difficult, and ineffective. In fact, there are five reasons you should always hire a professional pest control service.
- Specialized Training – Professional pest control technicians must go through extensive training to be effective. They are also required to be licensed to handle pest control duties. This ensures that the pests are properly identified and that the appropriate methods are used to eliminate an infestation and to keep another from happening.
- Your Family’s Safety – Another reason for hiring a professional exterminator to rid your home of rodents is safety. Living in an infested home is dangerous to your health and well-being. But, many of the DIY rodent control options available are either toxic or otherwise dangerous to people and pets. Professional pest control companies like Lucrest Pest Control use safe, effective treatment that won’t harm you or your loved ones.
- Much Less Expensive – While you may not think so, hiring a professional for rodent control and exclusion is much more affordable than any DIY option. Why? Because the treatments are targeted and the application is accurate so there’s no wasted time or money on gimmicks that don’t work. Plus, you won’t have to worry about how it will affect your family.
- Prevent Future Damage – By hiring a professional exterminator, you’ll get the pests under control faster, which means less damage to your home. Less damage means fewer repairs, which is easier on the pocketbook. By controlling rodents, you also prevent future, costly damage to your home and belongings.
- Extremely Effective – Because we’ve been eliminating and controlling rodents in Ohio for so long, we know exactly what it takes to treat any infestation. We won’t just treat the current issue, we’ll also help to ensure mice and rats stay away with proven preventative measures. In other words, we look at the problem from several angles so you get the best possible results.
If you are worried about a rodent infestation in Perrysville, OH or the surrounding areas, contact Lucrest Pest Control to schedule a pest inspection. We’ll send one of our technicians over to take a look and to evaluate your situation. If we find mice or rats, we’ll act fast to eliminate them and to keep them from coming